Telecom minister Kapil Sibal on Thursday will unveil mobile number portability in Haryana, allowing 18 million cellphone users in the state to retain their number while changing the service provider. Most of the country will have this facility by the New Year, while it will be available throughout the country by March 2011. Well, for now you can switch only within your existing telecom circle.
Here are the steps to port your mobile number to any operator in India – six quick steps:
- Send an SMS to 1900 in following format: PORT Your Mobile Number- eg. PORT 9999999999. (Simply sms “PORT <space> <10 digit mobile number which you wish to port> to 1900.)
- You will get a 8 digit unique porting code (UPC) instantly as a SMS.
- Send this SMS to operator you want to migrate to quoting the unique code. This code is valid only for a few days, and have to be applied again if it expires.
- Your new operator will check with your existing operator & if there are no dues then approval will be given for porting.
- You will get a SMS with the time and date when porting will take place. Rules mandate that process be completed within 7 days of applying.
- After porting is complete, wait for the SMS from your new operator confirming the switch. Your phone may be dead for few hours when the porting takes place.
You need to submit:
- Duly filled CAF form with UPC code details
- Copy of valid Address and Identity proof
- Copy of last bill paid to current service provider (in case of postpay customer)
Get Mobile Number Tracker on your Android phone.